All Grain Valley Schools will take time on Monday, November 11 to celebrate Veterans Day. Grain Valley High and South Middle Schools will remind all students and faculty of the significance of this very important day. Assemblies are planned at our other five schools.
On Veterans Day we honor those who have served their country in any military capacity. The day was originally proclaimed as Armistice Day by President Woodrow Wilson in 1919 to honor World War I veterans, and is also known as Remembrance Day in some countries. It should be noted that the last remaining WWI veteran passed away this year.
Our area veterans are invited to all-school assemblies at five different school locations on Veterans Day. All host schools will feature students in leadership or performance roles. Special features are listed with the schools and start times below:
- North Middle School at 9:15 AM
- Matthews Elementary at 10:00 AM. They will feature Colonel Donald Ballard, Medal of Honor recipient
- Prairie Branch Elementary at 1:15 PM. The celebration will feature Veteran Luther Dameron and the High School Show Choir
- Stony Point Elementary at 2:30 PM
- Sni-A-Bar Elementary at 2:30 PM
Thank you, veterans, for your service to our great country!